Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:57:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Keyboards freeze due to switchbox

I have two Telenet machines on a KVM switchbox. If I set the switchbox to
autoscan on both machines the keyboard stops working. The machines work ok
and I had been able to ssh into them no problems, this is why it took me
over a month to notice the problem.

I have another two machines, compaq, on the same type of switch and they
don't have the problem.

I also tried putting the switchbox on a single machine. If I leave it on
one of the two freebsd boxes, that particular machine will not have the
problem, but the other one does.

There is also a third box on the KVM, but that one does not have it's
keyboard attached to the KVM, a Sun Sparc. I suspect this may be the
problem, but I don't know if I can connect that machine to a different KVM
since all 3 machines are on server racks.

Since I have ssh access to the machines, is there a way to check if
FreeBSD can see a keyboard? This way when a keyboard stops working on the
KVM I can ssh and see if the machine can see the keybaord. This way I
would know if the problem is with FreeBSD or the KVM.