Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:06:42 +0100
From:      Dan Lukes <dan@obluda.cz>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions (Rants?) About IPSEC

Garrett Wollman wrote:

> You are wrong.  There are two distinct models: you can have pre-shared
> keys, in which case you have no certificates and a single secret key
> for every pair of communicating entities; or you can use public-key
> certificates.  I have some issues with the way the certificate support
> works, that's not one of them.  Pre-shared keys are not necesarily
> specific to an IP address; you can use any type of identifier
> supported in the IKE protocol.

	Note, the IKE knows two modes of establishing communication "main" and
"agressive". Non-IP identifiers are avaiable only in "agressive" mode
(it's because the targed need to use apropriate key to compute hash used
i first response, but type identifiers are send later by the initiator).

----

Rob Frohwein wrote:

> The intention with ipsec is that you dont need all public certs
> from all your peers.
> You only need (all) Ca certs
> If you start a session , the remote party (racoon) sends its cert.
> Your local racoon looks if it  has a CA cert which has signed
> your peers cert.
> It the verifies the peer cert.

	Do you the racoon use an CRL ? I don't want to change CA and re-issue
all certificates in case of compromise of one key.

I have working configurations FBSD<->FBSD and FBSD<->W2K, both on static
adresses, with pre-shared keys and with x509 certs. I failed to win over
'generate_policy' statement and dynamic IP support for now, but I'm
still trying.

							Dan

--
Dan Lukes      tel: +420 2 21914205, fax: +420 2 21914206
root  of FIONet,  KolejNET,  webmaster  of www.freebsd.cz