Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:08:13 +0400
From:      3APA3A <3APA3A@SECURITY.NNOV.RU>
To:        "alexus" <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re[2]: disable traceroute to my host

Hello alexus,

BSD-style  traceroute  sends  UDP  packets  starting  from port 33434,
increasing  port  for  every  packet. If someone traceroutes your host
with 3 packets for each TTL, and your host is located in 4 hops you'll
get  UDP  packets  for  ports 33443-33445 if your server will reply to
traceroute  or  33443-33490  (default  is  20 hops max) if you host is
unreachable. ipfw rule

deny udp from any to YOURNET 33430-33500 in

will  stop  default  BSD  traceroute, but can lead to some problems if
this ports will be dynamically allocated to some program.

Windows  uses  ICMP  type  8  (echo)  for traceroute. You must disable
incoming  ICMP  type  8 to prevent windows-style traceroute (this will
also stop discovering route via ping - R). Use

deny icmp from any to YOURNET icmptypes 8 in.

Another  possible  solution  is to prevent your hosts from replying to
traceroute.

deny ICMP from (YOURNETWORK) to any icmptypes 0,3,11 out

0 - to stop windows traceroute and ping
3 - to stop BSD-style traceroute
11 - to prevent intermediate router to reply traceroute