Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 11:50:53 +0200
From:      "Daniel A." <alive@dienub.org>
To:        Kyrre Nygard <kyrreny@broadpark.no>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing /usr/local/www

Kyrre Nygard wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a team of designers working on web 2.0 like sites.
>
> I have added them all to this box, now I'm wondering what's the most
> convenient
> way of giving them all access to /usr/local/www?
>
> My temporary solution has been to add all users with UID and GID 80,
> and then ln -s /usr/local/www ~/collabo for each user.
>
> If users have their original UID instead of www's then somehow they
> can't read
> or write to /usr/local/www. I thought sharing the same GID was sufficient,
> but obviously it isn't. I find this very strange.
>
> Some of them prefer just using FTP, so then being able to click on collabo@
> and go straight to /usr/local/www is very convenient for them.
>
> But is there a better way?
>
> Thanks,
> Kyrre

Hi Kyrre.

Have you tried chmodding the www dir to be group-writable?

Also, as someone else has suggested, SVN og CVS might be a good idea.
They would not solve the problem you have right now, but they might help
you avoid some possible problems with many people editing the same batch
of files - sharing violations. What if two people start editing the same
files on their own workstations, and both upload the changes? What about
version control? et cetera, ad nauseam.

Offcourse, non-repository development is possible, and I've done it
myself without any issues whatsoever, but you're the one who decides
what's best for your development.