Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 13:37:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzipped executables

> Terry, come up with a patch, or stop this nonsense.
> there is no self-modifying code involved...
>
> Christph:  No I'm sorry I don't have time.  It shouldn't be that hard
> though, if you have cvs try to find out when it broke, that would
> help a lot.
>
> Poul-Henning

My root assumptions as to the cause may be incorrect.

Flushing the cache queue with 32 NOP's, nevertheless, works, even if
*my* reason isn't *the* reason.

Feel free to come up with another explanation, or feel free to kludge
the NOP's before the jmp and accept the fact that it works without
a satisfactory (to you) explanation of *why* it works.

If I'm correct, I expect it to "fix" a 486 with 16 NOP's but not a
Pentium (and this has been observed in testing on my machines), and
to fix a Pentium and a 486 with 32 NOP's (which also works in testing
on my machines).

Admittedly, my theory is only a theory which fits all known facts
(which, I willingly admit, doesn't necessarily make it true).

Apply my "fix" from the previous discussion of -current on this same
topic... quoted "fix" because I believe it's a kludge around what is
really a bug in the decompressor.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org