Date:      Sun, 5 Jun 2011 10:57:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Espartano <espartano.mail@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with NanoBSD And Alix Board not device boot

On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:40 AM, Espartano wrote:
> NANO_BOOT0CFG=3D"-o nopacket -s 1 -m 3"

nopacket mode is the hardest of all modes to use.  Your CF's reported =
geometry *MUST* be encoded properly in the nano config file.  This isn't =
the geometry that the CF card reader reports, but what the CF card =
reports in true IDE mode.  This will vary from card to card (even cards =
with exactly the same label).  Unless your boot loader doesn't support =
packet mode properly, I'd strongly urge you to use packet mode.

> When I copy the NanoBSD image builded into the CF Card I has used this =
command:
>=20
> dd if=3D_.disk.image of=3D/dev/sdc bs=3D64k

As Henrik pointed out, you need the _.disk.full, since the .image file =
is a slice image.

Warner

> [...]
>=20
> CONF_WORLD=3D'
> WITHOUT_ASSERT_DEBUG=3DYES
> WITHOUT_BIND=3DYES
> WITHOUT_CTM=3DYES
> WITHOUT_CVS=3DYES
> WITHOUT_CXX=3DYES
> WITHOUT_DICT=3DYES
> WITHOUT_GCOV=3DYES
> WITHOUT_GPIB=3DYES
> WITHOUT_HTML=3DYES
> WITHOUT_INET6=3DYES
> WITHOUT_INFO=3DYES
> WITHOUT_IPFILTER=3DYES
> WITHOUT_IPFW=3DYES
> WITHOUT_IPX=3DYES
> WITHOUT_LPR=3DYES
> WITHOUT_MAIL=3DYES
> WITHOUT_NIS=3DYES
> WITHOUT_NLS=3DYES
> WITHOUT_RCMDS=3DYES
> WITHOUT_RCS=3DYES
> WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=3DYES
> WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS=3DYES
> #WITHOUT_USB=3DYES
> WITHOUT_ZFS=3DYES
> '
>=20
>=20
>=20
> And this is my kernel file config:
>=20
>=20
> cpu             I486_CPU
> cpu             I586_CPU
> cpu             I686_CPU
> ident           ZROUTER
>=20
> # To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
> #hints          "GENERIC.hints"         # Default places to look for =
devices.
>=20
> # Use the following to compile in values accessible to the kernel
> # through getenv() (or kenv(1) in userland). The format of the file
> # is 'variable=3Dvalue', see kenv(1)
> #
> # env           "GENERIC.env"
>=20
> makeoptions     DEBUG=3D-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) =
debug symbols
>=20
> options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
> options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread =
preemption
> options         INET                    # InterNETworking
> options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates =
support
> options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control =
lists
> options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big =
directories
> options         UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS =
journaling
> options         MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root =
device
> options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires =
PSEUDOFS)
> options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
> options         GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
> options         GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
> options         COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat (sgtty)
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD6         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD7         # Compatible with FreeBSD7
> options         SCSI_DELAY=3D5000         # Delay (in ms) before =
probing SCSI
> options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
> options         STACK                   # stack(9) support
> options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
> options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
> options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
> options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES     # POSIX-style semaphores
> options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
> extensions
> options         PRINTF_BUFR_SIZE=3D128    # Prevent printf output =
being
> interspersed.
> options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
> options         HWPMC_HOOKS             # Necessary kernel hooks for =
hwpmc(4)
> options         AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
> options         MAC                     # TrustedBSD MAC Framework
> options         FLOWTABLE               # per-cpu routing cache
> #options        KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks
> options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
> options         VIMAGE
> options         CPU_GEODE
>=20
> options         KDB                     # Kernel debugger related code
> options         KDB_TRACE               # Print a stack trace for a =
panic
>=20
> # To make an SMP kernel, the next two lines are needed
> options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor =
Kernel
> device          apic                    # I/O APIC
>=20
> # CPU frequency control
> device          cpufreq
>=20
> # Bus support.
> device          acpi
> device          eisa
> device          pci
>=20
> options         ALTQ
> options         ALTQ_CBQ        # Class Bases Queuing (CBQ)
> options         ALTQ_RED        # Random Early Detection (RED)
> options         ALTQ_RIO        # RED In/Out
> options         ALTQ_HFSC       # Hierarchical Packet Scheduler (HFSC)
> options         ALTQ_PRIQ       # Priority Queuing (PRIQ)
> options         ALTQ_NOPCC      # Required for SMP build
>=20
> device          pf
> device          pflog
> device          pfsync
> device          vlan
> device          epair
> device          if_bridge
> device          carp
> device          lagg
>=20
> options         DEVICE_POLLING
> options         IPSTEALTH
>=20
> device          vga             # VGA video card driver
> device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets
>=20
>=20
> # ATA and ATAPI devices
> device          ata
> device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
> options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering
>=20
>=20
> # SCSI peripherals
> device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
> device          ch              # SCSI media changers
> device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
> device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
> device          cd              # CD
> device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI =
access)
> device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and =
SAF-TE)
>=20
> # atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
> device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
> device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
> device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
>=20
> device          kbdmux          # keyboard multiplexer
>=20
>=20
> # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
> device          sc
>=20
> # Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
> device          pmtimer
>=20
> # PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
> # PCMCIA and cardbus bridge support
> device          cbb             # cardbus (yenta) bridge
> device          pccard          # PC Card (16-bit) bus
> device          cardbus         # CardBus (32-bit) bus
>=20
> # Serial (COM) ports
> device          uart            # Generic UART driver
>=20
> # Parallel port
> device          ppc
> device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
> device          lpt             # Printer
> device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
> device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
> #device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da
>=20
>=20
> # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
> # NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these =
NICs!
> device          miibus          # MII bus support
> device          re              # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
> device          vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
>=20
>=20
> # Wireless NIC cards
> device          wlan            # 802.11 support
> options         IEEE80211_DEBUG # enable debug msgs
> options         IEEE80211_AMPDU_AGE # age frames in AMPDU reorder q's
> options         IEEE80211_SUPPORT_MESH  # enable 802.11s draft support
> device          wlan_wep        # 802.11 WEP support
> device          wlan_ccmp       # 802.11 CCMP support
> device          wlan_tkip       # 802.11 TKIP support
> device          wlan_amrr       # AMRR transmit rate control algorithm
> device          an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless =
NICs.
> device          ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
> device          ath_hal         # pci/cardbus chip support
> options         AH_SUPPORT_AR5416       # enable AR5416 tx/rx =
descriptors
> device          ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath
> device          ral             # Ralink Technology RT2500 wireless =
NICs.
> device          wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 =
wireless NICs.
> #device         wl              # Older non 802.11 Wavelan wireless =
NIC.
>=20
> # Pseudo devices.
> device          loop            # Network loopback
> device          random          # Entropy device
> device          ether           # Ethernet support
> device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
> device          pty             # BSD-style compatibility pseudo ttys
> device          md              # Memory "disks"
> device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
> device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
> device          firmware        # firmware assist module
>=20
> # The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
> # Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
> # Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
> device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter
>=20
>=20
> # USB support
> options         USB_DEBUG       # enable debug msgs
> device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
> device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
> #device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
> device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
> device          ukbd            # Keyboard
> #device         ulpt            # Printer
> device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus =
and da
> # USB Serial devices
> device          u3g             # USB-based 3G modems (Option, Huawei, =
Sierra)
> device          uark            # Technologies ARK3116 based serial =
adapters
> device          ubsa            # Belkin F5U103 and compatible serial =
adapters
> device          uftdi           # For FTDI usb serial adapters
> device          uipaq           # Some WinCE based devices
> device          uplcom          # Prolific PL-2303 serial adapters
> device          uslcom          # SI Labs CP2101/CP2102 serial =
adapters
> device          uvscom          # USB serial support for DDI pocket's =
PHS
> # USB Wireless
> device          rum             # Ralink Technology RT2501USB wireless =
NICs
> device          ural            # Ralink Technology RT2500USB wireless =
NICs