Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:01:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: is -STABLE really stable?

>From: "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@quadrunner.com>
>Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 21:05:38 -0800

>> As I recall, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>> > This is an interesting topic in it's own right.  There is a fairly
>> > large body of opinion that the right way to treat a production system
>> > is never to upgrade it at all, rather to periodically replace it with
>> > a well tested replacement using later software.

>> The best way, if you can afford the time and hardware.

>All it really needs is 1 spare box. Assuming upgrades are performed every release, that's only 3 upgrades a year. And the cost of the extra hardware will be about $100/month for a lease. Most business can afford the hardware, it's the labor that's expensive. Even then having a spare system is justifable.

Unless I'm confused rather more than is usual -- which is by no means
especially unlikely -- that also assumes that the "spare box" hardware is
sufficiently close to that of the "production systems" that the resulting
system can be tested with sufficient confidence (for some value of
"sufficient") that the results will apply to the production system -- or,
better yet, that the "spare box" can actually *become* the (new)
"production system".  (Then the just-retired system becomes the "spare
box"... after sufficient burn-in....)

Of course, this also presumes that the sysadmin(s) can tell when one set
of hardware is "sufficiently close" to some other (sometimes arbitrary)
set of hardware, which is certainly not the case with my dealings with
PC hardware.  :-(  Others may well have different perspectives, certainly.

And that count of "3 upgrades/year" is per machine; I doubt that I'm all
that unusual in having some dozen or so servers and about 30 desktops to
cope with, as well as a few other tasks to occupy my time.  (In
practice, I'm upgrading *far* less often than 3/year for any machine
that I rely on.  Not, of course, that I'm happy with the upgrade
schedule I've been accomplishing; I'm working in "triage" mode.)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915