Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 10:11:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/12623: strtod(3) FPE on alphaev56

In article <14219.25613.478914.44162J@ett.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>,
Hidetoshi Shimokawa  <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:

> /usr/src/lib/libc/stdlib/strtod.c seems broken on alpha in three ways.
>
> 1) IEEE_8087 should be defined instead of IEEE_MC68k.
>
> 2) It assumes long is 32bit, but long is 64bit on alpha.
> 	s/unsigned long/u_int32_t/, s/long/int32_t/.
>
> 3) It generates denormal numbers which can not be treaded by the hardware
>    on alpha. It should be compiled with the option
>    `-mtrap-precision=i -mfp-trap-mode=su' to enable software completion.

Yes, or the equivalent "-mieee".  In my opinion, all of the libraries
(if not the whole world) should be compiled that way.  In fact, this
option should be the default.  Users who wanted a little extra speed
and who knew what they are doing could turn it off.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron