Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:22:51 -0500
From:      Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange routing issue

	Ok, here's a weird one I ran into.  Not sure how to fix it.  Just
installed a FreeBSD 4.5 "everything in one box" kind of server (aka it
covers everything via one machine rather than several) for a client and for
some strange reason it installed fine off the snapshots via FTP and
everything was happy hunkey dorrey, until I decided to start updating
things.  Now I'm getting "no route to host" yet I can ping the gateway
fine, and on a matching win2k box next to it I'm surfing and ftp'ing all
over the place without a hitch.

	Now here's the catch.  On their site they've got a Novell firewall/proxy
server that they absolutely refuse to get rid of.  All inbound and outbound
traffic goes through that and for security reasons they refuse to abandon
it.  So I can only assume that I'm hitting the proxy and getting stopped,
but if this was true, why did it work fine for the ftp install off of the
floppy disks and why is it giving "no route to host" as though the gateway
wasn't even connected, yet the same box, on the same hub can get to the
internet fine.  I swap drives and plop a win2k drive in the same machine
and it routes fine.  Swap drives (it has a swappable drive bay for quick
exchange of operating system drives/data drives) and it's back to the "no
route to host".

	Anyone got any ideas on this?