Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:00:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnconfig question

Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu> types:
> Thank you, but it still doesn't work.

You didn't try what I meant, which was:

# vnconfig /dev/vn0 ./maxtorbackup2
# mount -t msdos /dev/vn0s1 /mnt

You do indeed (in your words) "do the same with the image using
vnconfig". It's an image of ad1, and you mounted the first slice with
ad1s1. Therefore you need to mount the first slice of vn0, which
should be vn0s1. If it were an image of ad0s1 (i.e., you had used
/dev/ad0s1 as the if for the dd), what then you would mount /dev/vn0.

Sorry I can't test it for you; I'd like to know if it works.

	<mike

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu> types:
> > > 	Hi, I am trying to access an image that I made of a small hard
> > > drive.  I made it pretty simply with dd if=/dev/ad1 of=file
> > > I can get vnconfig working fine with an iso, but I try somethig similiar
> > > with my image and I get this output and error:
> > > tim# ls
> > > maxtorbackup
> > > tim# vnconfig vn0c ./maxtorbackup
> > > tim# mount_msdos /dev/vn0c /mnt
> > > mount_msdos: /dev/vn0c: Invalid argument
> > >
> > > 	The disk was msdos ver 6 and mounting it worked correctly so I
> > > figured this would too.  I read the manpage and can't see where I am going
> > > wrong.  Did I need certain options to dd when I made the image to get this
> > > to work?  Help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > At a wild guess, you're running into problems with the slice
> > table. Without knowing how you mounted it as a disk and how you
> > created the image, it's hard to say. You might try using the
> > appropriate sliced vn device (vn0s1, say).
>
> Ok I mount it like this:  (I included the wrong ways in case that tells
> somebody something)
> tim# mount -t msdos /dev/ad1 /mnt
> msdos: /dev/ad1: Invalid argument
> tim# mount -t msdos /dev/ad1c /mnt
> msdos: /dev/ad1c: Invalid argument
> tim# mount -t msdos /dev/ad1s1 /mnt
> tim# ls /mnt
> CONFIG.SYS      IO.SYS          NANSI.SYS       QBASIC      AUTOEXEC.BAT
> etc.
>
> 	I created the image exactly as above in my message,
> tim# dd if=/dev/ad1 of=maxtorbackup2
>
> 	But I still get:
> tim# vnconfig /dev/vn0s1 ./maxtorbackup2
> tim# mount_msdos /dev/vn0s1 /mnt
> mount_msdos: /dev/vn0s1: Invalid argument
>
> tim# vnconfig vn1s1 ./maxtorbackup2
> vnconfig: /dev/vn1s1: No such file or directory
>
> 	The problem may be:  (which I had forgotten about.)
> tim# disklabel ad1
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
>
> 	Do I need to put a valid disklabel on the drive first?  Or redo
> the MBR?  And if I do either of these will the drive still boot into DOS?
> It is used usually as the primary drive on an old 486 for my mom.
> 	I thought that if I could mount the drive then I could do the same
> with the image using vnconfig.  But I guess I didn't understand much of
> the manpage.  Any idea what is wrong?  If you need any other info, let me
> know.
>
> 						Tim

Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.