Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 06:45:12 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure Deletion

> Problem: A file came onto a FreeBSD system. All traces of this file
> will (probably) need to be destroyed. The error was on someone else's
> part, so we did not find out until this file had
> propagated. There is presently an existing file that needs to be
> destroyed. In addition, there are existing files that had this
> information in them, but have since had the 'offending' part
> removed...

The solution depends on your levels of paranoia.  The real
solution involves:

     1. delete any offending files, or edit the offending data
	out of them
     2. dump the filesystems
     3. remove the disks and grind them into dust
     4. install new disks
     5. restore your dumps
     6. find all backups made while the data was on the disks
	and destroy the backup media

If items 3 and 4 are too extreme for your case, replace them
with:

     3. newfs the disks and fill them with 0x55 bytes
     4. repeat step 3, using 0xAA then repeat step 3

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org> or <gjb@computer.org>
Fight censorship in Australia: <http://www.efa.org.au>;