Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 21:45:19 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        =?Windows-1252?Q?Rickard_Borgm=E4ster?= <doktorn@sub.nu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current vs Stable for specific driver support?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rickard_Borgm=E4ster?= <doktorn@sub.nu> types:
> Hi!
>
> I'm new to *BSD in common and have just gotten my machine up'n'running.
>
> I read the FreeBSD handbook and saw that the Soundblaster Live! card
> should be (experimental) supported. Since I have such a card and want
> to use it I suppose I need to go to a CURRENT kernel, right?

First, on BSD you can't mix-n-match kernels. Even on the same branch,
much less across them, running a kernel and userland built from
different branches is not supported.

Second, that's not what -current is for. To quote the handbook:

    19.2.1.3. What is FreeBSD-CURRENT not?
	1. A fast-track to getting pre-release bits [...]
	2. A quick way of getting bug fixes.
	3. In any way ``officially supported'' by us. [...]

As a rule of thumb, if you're not able to take a kernel core dump and
figure out where the problem is (even if you can't fix it), you
probably shouldn't be running -current on any machine you actually
use.

[From /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NEWCARD ]
> Then one line that confused me was:
> # CURRENT STATUS OF CODE: NOT WORKING.  Use PCCARD instead.
>
> Does this mean that I am unable to compile a working kernel out of
> the source codes I have? And thereby meaning that I cannot use my
> sound card?

No, it means that you aren't going to be able to use the NEWCARD code
to talk to PC cards. This is discussed on the current@freebsd.org mail
list, which you should be reading if you're going to be running
-current.

	<mike