Date:      16 Feb 2001 15:35:58 -0600
From:      Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ok CGI guru's here's an easy one for you (i hope).

P> I've got an old 2.2.8 freebsd system with apache 1.3.3
P> A new web site is running a search script that bombs with this error.

P>   Can't locate /library/cgi-lib.pl in @INC (@INC contains:

P> Is it just that my perl modules are out of date and don't contain the
P> cgi-lib.pl (which doesn't exist in the dir's listed above where i assume
P> it's looking).

P> if this is the case, do I just need to update perl entirely?  if so, what
P> extra precautions do i need to take (when installing the perl port) so i
P> don't whack my system?

cgi-lib.pl was effectively replaced by CGI.pm about 3 years ago.
Updating perl will not do any good at all.

P> and could i just place the cgi-lib.pl file in there manually?

Find a copy of cgi-lib.pl on the web and stick it somewhere your
script will find it. It's your choice, but personally I would not put
it anywhere in the /usr/local/lib/perl5 tree since it would easily get
lost if you ever upgrade Perl or move the website to another
computer. Personally I'd put it in the same directory as the CGI
script. If you have scripts in subdirectories of cgi-bin/ read about
PERL5LIB in 'man perlrun'.

The real solution would be to convert to using CGI.pm, but that might
be a larger task than you are looking for right now.

HTH and
Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
Tim Ayers (tayers@bridge.com)