Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 01:58:45 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        tim@scratch.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wwwoffle - or other - configuration problems

tim@scratch.demon.co.uk wrote:

> firstly www - having messed around for a while looking for a decent www
> browser after netscape failed to work, I have now had to reinstall the
> aout libs for x11 to get netscape working again. This is o.k. but I'd
> rather move away from aout, is there another browser worth considering ?
>
> also on www - I am having trouble with wwwoffle http://localhost:8080/
> fails !

"fails" isn't very helpful. In what way is it failing?

> any sugestions welcome or any other choice of caching and fetching, I
> have webcopy installed but have not experimented much.

Stick with wwwoffle, I find it great for dialup use and have had very few
problems with it.

> secondly mail - I have tkrat, sendmail, procmail and fetchmail. on
> connection ppp-linkup runs fetchmail and for that matter wwwoffle -
> online. sendmail calls procmail as the local mailer, but sometimes my
> mail gets downloaded to oblivion, not just on or two messages but all
> of it - pain in the butt !.

Look at the logs for fetchmail, sendmail, procmail, and anything else
which could possibly be involved. It can't have disappeared without good
reason, unless you have broken something quite badly.

> Also my messages very often appear twice though I presume this may be
> a pop / stmp problem - not worried about this for the moment.

since you're using Demon I'd recommend you just let them deliver your
mail in the Right Way, namely smtp. Once you do that, you've eliminated
one program (fetchmail) which could be causing the problem.

If you're interested in trying other MTAs, Exim is very nice. With
it, I have no need for procmail since Exim has built in capabilities
for filtering mail.  Admittedly, they may not be quite as advanced as
procmail, I haven't investigated fully. You can certainly use regular
expressions on headers/body to forward/pipe/save mail to other places if
needed.

> thirdly news - here is a complete void with me so is it best for me to
> use a specific news reader or have it bought in and read with my mail
> reader - I think I would prefer this.

Use a mail reader for mail. Use a newsreader for news.

My choices:
 news reader - slrn
 news server - inn2 (maybe overkill for a small site, but it works)
 news fetching - suck

all in /usr/ports/news

--
Ben Smithurst