Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 02:10:59 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ecerejo@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: QT2 and QT3

>> (09.06.2002 @ 0124 PST): E. J. Cerejo said, in 0.8K: <<
> I'm running Freebsd stable (pre-4.6) and when I try to install QT3 I get
>
> You have QT2 headers installed!  Installing this port
> will result in conflicts between QT3 and QT2!
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt30.

that about sums it up. keep in mind that ports maintainers are putting
in a concerted effort to replace all qt2 ports with qt3 ports, or at
least make them build with both.

> I see that I have QT2 installed because it is required by the following
> ports:
> avifile-0.6.0.20011220_1,1
avifile will build against qt3 if it is installed.
> kvirc-2.1.1_1
kvirc will not build against qt3. consider xchat. or epic ::)
> licq-qt-gui-1.0.4
licq-qt-gui builds against qt3 by default.
> toolbox-0.4.6
toolbox will not build against qt3. yet. luckily, bb styles aren't too
too difficult to hack.
> vorbis-tools-1.0.r3_4,2
the vorbis tools depend upon libao, which can optionally depend upon
arts, which depends on qt. and, by default now, it depends upon qt3.

SOOOOO...........

here's what you need to do:

1) UPDATE YOUR PORTS TREE. you're housing a couple of old ports. ::)
2) deinstall all the programs listed above
3) deinstall qt2
4) install qt3
5) rebuild and install avifile, licq-qt-gui, and the vorbis tools
6) install all the KDE stuff you want, as listed below
7) learn a new IRC client ::)
8) don't sweat the blackbox style config tool. you're installing KDE
anyway, and i'm assuming you'll be using it instead.

HTH.

-Adam

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."