Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:56:26 -0700
From:      Dennis Dai <ddai@troygroup.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make installworld' failed on 4.6-stable

Kent Stewart wrote:
[my original error message snipped]

> Usually an Error code 1 has an error message that is the real reason and
> you need to find it. The code 1 is just reporting that you have an error
> and isn't the error. If you can't see it and you didn't log your
> install, you will need to do that.
>
> BTW, most of the time, a problem with perl is a system date that is
> wacko. That problem doesn't produce messages like you are seeing. Make
> sure you have cvsup'ed src-all and aren't doing NOPERL's in make.conf,
> look for the real message, but also check your system date/time. If you
> tell the system to not build PERL there could be problems during the
> install if something unexpected happens. You should be able to do this.
>
> I would normally try a system build and install at this point but it is
> time for me to go eat. I will check back in a couple of hours.
>
> Kent

Thanks Kent for the prompt reply. I've done all of what you mentioned
(cvsup'ed, #NO_PERL in /etc/make.conf, adjusted system date/time) but
'make installworld' still failed at the same spot. So I edited
/etc/make.conf and uncomment the NO_PERL line and 'make install' again,
obviously this time it's going to work - no perl involved. After that, I
re-commented out NO_PERL line and 'make installworld' again, this time
it magically finished the whole install process! I don't know what
happened, must be one of those weird things happenning on Monday :-)

Anyway, I'll re-buildworld and re-installworld again to see if it still
works.

Thanks,
Dennis