Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:35:00 -0600
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: more problems with ports

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 5:13 PM
Subject: more problems with ports

>Would someone please enlighten me on how to install ANYTHING from
ports without always getting

>"Stop in /usr/ports/xxxxxxxxxx"
>"*** Error code 1"

>Some time ago someone on this list advised me to setup CVSUP, so I
have that updating ports daily & source weekly, >however it appears to
have made the ports problem worse.

Recently an attic cleaning of the ports tree was done.  For reasons
that I won't go into, cvsup can't really update the ports properly
after that happens.  The fix is to rm -rf /usr/ports and then re
cvsup.  Be sure to save the contents of /ports/distfiles if there are
any tarballs you want to save.

>Previously only some ports were afflicted by the "Error 1" bug, now
it appears that every one has the same problem. If all >ports were
available as a sysinstall package it wouldn't be a problem, but seems
the number of sysinstall packages is being >decreased with later
versions of FreeBSD. Not all of us wish to compile everything from
source, especially as the instructions >aren't always as descriptive
as they could be for non-experts.

I haven't run into very many ports at all that won't install with a
simple make install.  What instructions are you talking about?

>If I simply download the relevant distfile & pop it in
/usr/ports/distfiles, will that be an effective workaround for this
>problem ??

Sure...if you can find it.

Josh