Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:51:30 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Systems Administrator" <geniusj@ods.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Monitor dies and doesn't come back.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Systems Administrator" <geniusj@ods.org>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 10:28 PM
Subject: Monitor dies and doesn't come back.

> I've been having a strange problem recently after installing a new
> harddrive.. the harddrive works fine in other OS's, but in FreeBSD,
> (seemingly after the HD install), the Monitor (CTX VL19") goes into
> powersaving and you cant get it back without doing a cold reboot.. not
> even a warm reboot will work.  I am not sure exactly what is happening
> here, perhaps something borked? I have a Western Digital Caviar 45GB drive
> running at UDMA33.

Definitely strange.  I would turn off APM support in your BIOS.  It may be
possible that when your HDD spins down it's sending off a wierd command do
your APM hardware which is either misinterpreted by a) FreeBSD's apm support
or b) your BIOS's APM support which suspends the whole system or something
whacky like that.

--
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services