Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:38:29 -0500
From:      Eric Johnson <eric@coding-zone.com>
To:        Diaz232002@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd GUI

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:43:22AM -0500, Diaz232002@aol.com wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
> My name is Ruben Diaz And I'm here in Los Angeles California. I am having the
> hardest time trying to install the Graphic user interface part of it and I
> just cant seem to do so. This is the first UNIX class I have ever taken and
> my instructor just want us to play around with it and sometimes I just geto
> frustrated with it that It annoys me. I was just wondering if there was any
> information that you can give me to help me out please.

If you already have FBSD installed, you can login as root and type
/stand/sysinstall at your prompt to try and configure XFree86.  You
will need to know details about your monitor (horizontal/vertical
refresh rates) and your video card (type, chipset, memory).  Once
you're running sysinstall, make the following menu selections,
Configure -> XFree86 -> XF86Setup -> enable mouse daemon ->
switch to graphics mode.  NOTE: This is how it works with my
4.2-stable install.

You should now be in XFree86 configure tool (for XF86 3.3.6 not 4.0).
Use the tabs along the top of the screen to set your mouse, keyboard,
monitor and video card.  At the very least, you should be able to
select a generic VGA monitor and card and get a 640x480 screen to
work.  After making the appropriate selections, you should be able to
test each configuration before commiting to the changes.

Assuming you get that part working, you can then select your desired
window manager.  If you're new to UNIX you might want to try KDE since
IMHO it's pretty close to Windoze GUI.  You'll be prompted to select
your source media (either CDROM or FTP would be your best bet).
Once installed, you can quit sysintall and go back to your root shell
prompt and type 'startx'.

There's a lot of room for error getting X to work but this should get
you and your class started down the right path...

--
Best Regards,
Eric Johnson            (eric@coding-zone.com && http://www.coding-zone.com)

/home/eric
[eric@coding-zone]$ /usr/games/fortune -s
It is easier for a camel to pass through the
eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.
		-- Kehlog Albran