Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:11:03 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD PowerPak

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:41:01 -0700, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:37:48PM +0800, Robert Storey wrote:
>> I recently ordered and received the 4-CD set of FBSD 5.1.
>>
>> I had presumed that this would give me a pretty complete desktop setup.
>> Alas, I was wrong. A lot of very commmon apps are missing, such as
>> Xemacs and Mplayer. It's disappointing. I only have a dialup modem. I
>> don't have broadband and have no hope of getting it where I live, so I
>> was counting on the 4-CD set to fill in the gaps.
[snip]

Another possibility is to do what I do with my 28.8K dialup - let big stuff
run overnight.  I just built XFree86 last night, in fact.  The package for
OpenOffice was an overnight download as well.  I don't know as I would want
to build the entire KDE or GNOME environments like this, but I've always
preferred lighter weight applications (Blackbox, Windowmaker, XFCE4)
anyway.  Java is a bit of a bugger, since you can't just let it run - have
to answer questions along the way.  On the other hand, the same licensing
requirements that necessitate this prevent it from being distributed on a
FreeBSD CD, at least as I understand it.

> As you noted, it's based on 4.6, so the contents are a year old.  If
> you don't mind getting year-old versions of ports, then go for it.
>
> Kris

Is there a possibility that some of the older ports may not build or run on
top of 5.x?

Jud