Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 15:57:55 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        vd@etrade.bg, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash directory completion annoyingly changes from 2.05a to 2.05b

From: "Vasil Dimov" <vd@etrade.bg>

> /usr/local/etc# ./r<TAB>03<TAB>
> but after the first <TAB> now (in 2.05b) i get
> "./rc.d " instead of "./rc.d/" and i have to backspace and manually type
> the slash:
> /usr/local/etc# ./r<TAB><BACKSPACE>/03<TAB>
> and i find that annoying, isn't it?

Experimenting, I found this:
/usr/local/etc# rc.<TAB>   ==>  rc.d/
/usr/local/etc# sh r<TAB>  ==>  sh rc.d/
/usr/local/etc# . r<TAB>   ==>  . rc.d/

> can it be changed with `set SOMETHING' or like?
> i did not find anything about it.

So, it seems to me that when bash auto-completes the first token on the
line, it will omit the trailing / on directory names, but when it
autocompletes an argument (2nd or later token on the line) it includes the
trailing /.

These are my observations - I don't know whether this should be considered
RIGHT or WRONG?  Admittedly - I cannot think of any reason why one would
want to use a directory name as the first token on a line, so the
behaviour does seems strange.

---
Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.