Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:17:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RUS, 4.8

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:43:21PM +0000, Daniela wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2003 14:34, Alex Zivenko wrote:
> > Hallo all!
> > I am russian, but I have FreeBSD 4.8 installed with onlu eng support. H=
ow
> > can I add ru support in my X (I am using KDE), and in console? Thank's
>=20
> I think you need to modify the LANG environment variable in your .cshrc (=
or=20
> whatever shell you're using). I'm not sure, however, whether it does modi=
fy=20
> the language or only the character set.
>=20
> In KDE, open the control center and go to Regional & Accessibility ->=20
> Country/Region and Language.
> You need to install the additional language pack first:
> 	# cd /usr/ports/russian/kde3-i18n
> 	# make install

To make the console work with Cyrillic characters, edit the /etc/ttys
file and change the console type from 'cons25' to 'cons25r'.  Set the
console fonts to use the koi8 character set by assigning the variables
in /etc/rc.conf, and choose an appropriate keyboard map:

    font8x14=3D"koi8-r-8x14"
    font8x16=3D"koi8-r-8x16"
    font8x8=3D"koi8-r-8x8"
    keymap=3D"ru.koi8-r"

(or there are koi8-u-.... font variants.  Not entirely sure what the
difference is there.)  These will become the defaults at the next
reboot. See kbdmap(8)/vidfont(8) for an interactive tool for changing
the console fonts.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20