Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:13:33 -0400
From:      "Yarema" <yds@ingress.net>
To:        "Amancio Hasty" <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
Subject:   Re: App Idea: Configuration

> Now lets keep the ball rolling and remind people that LDAP is
> not restricted to MTAs.
>
> I volunteer to write a FreeBSD LDAP Web Page to help out.
>
> What I need is specific instructions to enable LDAP for each
> MTA and how is LDAP used.
>

> Don't forget ALL of you are invited to participate

Been waiting for something like this to happen.. I took a stab at it and
never got a working LDAP config. Now that there are some example I might try
again.

FWIW, here's my /usr/ports/mail/pine4/Makefile.local

---BEGIN---
BUILD_DEPENDS+= /nonexistent:${PORTSDIR}/net/ldap:build

MAKE_ENV+=      OPTIMIZE='${CFLAGS}' DEBUG=''

post-extract:
        @${LN} -s ${PORTSDIR}/net/ldap/work/ldap-3.3 ${WRKSRC}/ldap
----END----

Dunno if the MAKE_ENV is still needed but it does make pine honor CFLAGS.
unfortunately pine doesn't work with the latest openldap therefore it
requires a build of the older net/ldap port. The post-extract target is all
that's required for pine to find the ldap libraries and link them in. Then
you can go to pine's SETUP CONFIGURATION screen and:

            [X]  ldap-result-to-addrbook-add

Shoulda probably submitted a port update, but I suspect this msg might do.

I read somewhere that Red Hat wrote an LDAP PAM module. Perhaps that could
be incorporated in to FreeBSD as well.

--
Yarema