Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:11:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird /tmp issues

Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com> types:
> Corey Brune (brune@sdf.lonestar.org) wrote:
>
> > /tmp should be chmod'ed with 1777 for the sticky bit turned on. I am *think*
> > the perms affect X. Try it out and see if this corrects the problem.
> Strange, but it doesn't!  The only thing that restores X11 functionality
> is copying the old tmp directory back.
>
> This doesn't make any sense to me -- if /tmp were swap, wouldn't it get
> cleared at each reboot? Isn't that a common configuration?

I run tmp on swap (via mfs), and it works fine. However, it gets
recreated *on reboots*. I didn't see you talk about a reboot - have
you tried that?

X creates lock files and unix domain sockets in /tmp. If you don't
want to reboot with the new /tmp in place, you might try moving
/tmp.old/.X* to /tmp.

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.