Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 14:16:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        caijj@trans.hk.hi.cn
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I format the Dos partition?

caijj@trans.hk.hi.cn wrote,

>    I have tow partitions on my hard disk, one is msdos, the other
> is FreeBSD. Now I want to format the msdos partition to FreeBSD,
> how can I do? I don't want to reinstall the system.
>    Thanks!

I just helped someone through this on the list a few weeks ago. Here
is what you need to do,

1) Go into fdisk and change the 'sysid' of the first slice to 165.

2) Next you need to use disklabel on the first slice (the DOS
   "partition") look at the disklabel manpage. If auto labeling does
   not work, use the disklabel on the second slice as a template for
   the first one.

In fact, using the second slice's label as a starting point for a new
one is what we ended up doing with the person I helped.

Email me directly if you need more help. HTH.