Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 21:41:51 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Punctuation conventions (was: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles fortunes)

At 06:03 PM 6/1/2000, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Which part?  The first sentence was certainly false:  hand-set type in
>English conventionally used spacing that was *between* one and two
>spaces wide.

Actually, manual typesetters used two "spaces." However, those spaces
were not usually a full em wide. (An "em" is the width of the character
"m" in the typeface being used. Most characters are narrower than this
unless the font is monospaced. A sentence break was typically about 1.5
ems wide -- sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how the font
was designed.

Newspapers were the first to abandon extra space between sentences because
it could literally affect their bottom line. (The New York Times' motto
is "All the news that's fit to print;" however, as any newspaper journalist
knows, most papers -- including the Times -- tend to amend this to "All
the news that fits.") If you look at any modern American newspaper, you'll
see no more space before the cap at the start of a sentence than before any
other capital letter.

A good text on typing will (or should!) explain how the same convention
propagated to business correspondence. In my high school typing class,
we were required to practice both the one-space and two-space conventions
on the theory that it would help a typist adapt to a corporation's required
style. However, we were told that the "modern" method was to use single
spaces between sentences for the sake of speed and simplicity. Temporary
employment agencies such as Kelly, whose temps were graded according to the
number of words they could type per minute, were strong advocates of the
one-space convention during the 60's and 70's because it made their people
more productive and hence more valuable. Corporations were quickly persuaded
and adopted the same conventions.

It was, likewise, temporary agencies that pushed for the adoption of
business letter formats in which everything was left-justified. This made
the creation of letters simpler and faster. It also made it easier to use
typewriters such as the newfangled IBM Selectric. (The Selectric, which
used a ball instead of individual hammers, couldn't jam; however, unlike
earlier models, it didn't allow the typist to move the carriage by hand.)
Tabs (and, hence, indented paragraphs) were also considered undesirable
because different brands and models of typewriters had different methods
of setting and clearing them. Some had "clear all tabs" keys; others
didn't. Typists -- either from a typing pool or a temporary agency
-- could migrate more easily from machine to machine if they didn't have
to deal with the idiosyncrasies of different tab mechanisms.

At 06:22 PM 6/1/2000, Troy Settle wrote:

>Probably biting off much more than I can chew here, but do you honestly
>expect Brett to have documentation?  I'd imagine that his over-abundance
>of opinion leaves little room for documented facts.

My late father, who worked as an advertising production manager and
design consultant, spent much of his life choosing fonts and faces for
printed matter. My grandfather, an engraver, created fonts for the
engraved signs and labels used on military equipment -- including
the controls in airplane cockpits -- during WWII. (Needless to say,
these had to be VERY readable.) My father's brother, who is still
alive, still does advertising and production work. Other more
distant relatives have done type design. In short, I come from a family
of typesetters, printers, engravers, and type designers. I therefore know
whereof I speak here.

--Brett Glass