Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:34:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert <robert@namodn.com>
To:        David Shanes <dshanes@mswin.net>
Cc:        questions FreeBSD <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clearing "NOROOT" status.

Found this using http://www.freebsd.org/search
----
The su way is the proper way to do this.  But if you really want to login
as root remotely you'll have to edit the file /etc/ttys and add "secure"
to the ttyp? (pseudo ttys).  This will enable you to login as root.
Please, please, if you do something like this at least use ssh (secure
shell) as your machine could be compromised very quickly if someone is
sniffing your network.

Here is a sample entry for /etc/ttys

ttyp0   none    network secure
ttyp1   none    network secure

and so on...

Another reason this is a bad idea is that if someone does a dictionary
attack on your telnet login root cannot be compromised.
----

Hope it helps...

-rob
( www.namodn.com )