Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 00:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben <spy@tyr.office.efn.org>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ben@efn.org
Subject:   libkvm and user-info tools patches (was ps(1))

A few weeks ago I released a patch to make ps -a 'break' for normal user's
preventing them from seeing other people that are logged in, and what they
are doing.  I finshed those patches for w, who and top too.  After taking
a look at libkvm I've decided it would be easier if kvm_getprocs was
controlled by a sysctl oid(kern.usersecure).  This would prevent user's
from using it in any program that called it, by checking if kern.usersecure
was a certian number, much like securelevel is now.  Take a look at what I
came up with and give me some feedback.  I've been using it for 3 days now
with no problems at all.

Text info on it:
http://www.efn.org/~ben/security/README.txt
The tarball of source diff's (diff -c against 2.2.7 stable):
http://www.efn.org/~ben/security/kvm.tgz

	-ben@efn.org