Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 20:21:47 +0200
From:      Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding .db support to pkg_tools

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 07:54:40PM +0200, Anders Nore wrote:
> You are probably right, but how would you store the key's? Is storing the
> key as e.g., 'portname-1.2_3+CONTENT' a good solution?

I'd just use a different db file. I am not sure how much the following
applies to FreeBSD as pkg_install has diverted a lot. The most expensive
operations during pkg_add and pkg_info are scans for conflicts (explicit
via @pkgcfl or implicit due to overlapping file lists) as they need to
compare the to-be-installed package with all existing ones. After that
come directory scans to resolve dependencies. Everything else is really
just "open this small file and extract some data from it", where small
usually means less than one block. Putting that into a database can help
or not, but I don't think it is relevant. So the most important
operations to support a btree of all files (implemented in
NetBSD/pkgsrc) and a btree of all @pkgcfl/@pkgdb (not implemented yet).

Joerg