Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2011 02:05:38 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Patrick Lamaiziere <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu>
Subject:   Re: 8.2/7.4-RELEASEs Announced...

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 10:26:07AM +0100, Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
> Le Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:26:23 -0500,
> Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> > 8.2-RELEASE and 7.4-RELEASE have been announced.  The announcement
> > messages are available here:
> >
> >   http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html
>
> There is a small typo in the name of the usb image:
> «
> memstick
>
>     This can be written to an USB memory stick (flash drive) and used
>     to do an install on machines capable of booting off USB drives. It
>     also supports booting into a "livefs" based rescue mode. The
>     documentation packages are provided but no other packages.
>     # dd if=8.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=10240
>     conv=sync
> »
> should be "FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img"

Not to mention, the block size specified doesn't jibe with what's in the
FreeBSD Handbook (which uses bs=64k):

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-pre.html

Other users have pointed this out to me on my blog, wondering exactly
where bs=10240 came from.  So, the release notes going forward should
probably use bs=64k.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |