Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:45:21 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configure acls on remote machine

On 2/9/06, Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org> wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:
> > I see possible options as
> > 1) switch to single user mode somehow and then unmount /home and
> > configure acls with tunefs
> >
> > 2) su to root
> >    kill processes using /home
> >    do the umount and so on with /home unmounted.
> >    remount /home
> >
> > I imagine it might be quite hard to do 1 and 2 seems difficult unless I
> > have an ssh to a home folder which isn't under /home.
>
> Why don't you just create a user for this specific task with home dir on
> some other partition? Then you will ssh to a folder not under /home and
> you can do 2).

In my experience, once your login shell has read its environment
there is no harm in taking /home out, fiddling with it, and putting
it back.  Even logging in to a machine with home unmounted
has the reasonalby minimal effect of putting you in / and giving
you the bog standard environment (/etc/dot.cshrc or /etc/dot.profile).