Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:48:21 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@adtechintegrated.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SOLVED: apsfilter and margins

Here's a little howto for those of you who are having problems with faulty
margins with apsfilter.  I'm personally using a Brother HL-1440, but the
general idea still applies to all printers.

1) Edit the file /usr/local/share/gho.stscript/7.07/lib/align.ps and add %! on
a line by itself, before anything else.

2) type lpr /usr/local/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib/align.ps and you will get a
page that has two lines, intersecting in the lower left corner.

3) Follow the instructions on the page that prints to compute the numbers you
need to enter.

4) Create a file called /etc/margins.ps that contains the following:

%!
<< /.HWMargins [18 0 18 0] /Margins [0 -90] >> setpagedevice

Your numbers will vary from mine.  This is for a Brother HL-1440 Laser
printer. (The bottom margin on mine is very low on the page, but I don't
loose any text.  Changing the bottom value seems to cut off text.)

Make certain that this file is world readable.
#chmod a+r /etc/margins.ps

5) Edit the file /usr/local/etc/apsfilter/apsfilterrc and find the line near
the bottom containing PS_INIT (currently commented out).

6) Uncomment the line and change it to read:

PS_INIT=/etc/margins.ps

7) Print a test page!  Play with those numbers in the /etc/margins.ps file
until you get the margins you're looking for.  You do not need to restart lpd
in order for changes to take effect.

Hope you all enjoy this!
--
Eric F Crist