Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 04:44:08 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Glenn Johnson" <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
Cc:        "Wayne Pascoe" <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>, "Aleksandar Simic'" <alex@frustum.clara.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: The right way to burn CDs ?

The point is that a SCSI burner is immensely more valuable to me than
an IDE burner, and Phillips shafted me (and all the other consumers
with this problem) by sending out an IDE burner.

I don't know if the particular model or burner they sent works under
FreeBSD because I didn't even try it.  Sorry.  However, I have a
policy that I avoid use of IDE/ATAPI with FreeBSD whenever possible.
I think that most serious FreeBSD users and developers have the same
policy, although I think that a lot of people are bending when it
comes to IDE disk drives, because the performance of a _single_ modern IDE
disk and a _single_ modern SCSI disk in a FreeBSD system is pretty much
identical.  But, use of IDE for peripherals is still a no-mans land and
while I'm happy to encourage others who choose to explore this
territory, I'm not going to put any of my own money towards purchase of
IDE peripherals other than disk drives for use in FreeBSD.

I recognize, of course, that perpetuating this attitude basically guarentees
that ATAPI development will always lag behind SCSI development on FreeBSD.
But, my answer to that is if you don't like it, complain to the peripheral
manufacturers and tell them you want them to price SCSI versions of their
products the same as IDE versions.  I guarentee that it doesen't cost a disk
drive manufacturer more than a buck or two more to manufacture a disk drive
with an IDE interface on it than a SCSI interface on it, it's criminal that
they get away with charging 200% more for the devices.

>I do not feel that there is anything wrong with my drive from a quality
>or ATAPI spec implementation point of view.  I know a lot of non-standard
>hardware can be made to work under Windows with proprietary drivers
>so I would never use the "it works with Windows" argument to make my
>point.  My point was that my drive and others work under Linux with
>open-source software and should be able to work under FreeBSD as well.
>Unfortunately, I do not have the requisite skill to fix the problem so I
>boot into a Linux system when I need to burn a CD.  It is inconvenient
>but gets the job done.  I only hope that the people who do have the
>skill to fix the problem realize that it is a software problem and not a
>hardware problem.

You know something, you are absolutely right, however there is one
problem - the ATAPI spec isn't coded into stone.  It's close, but
there's enough variation that your drive can be perfectly compliant
with the standard, and some other drive can be perfectly compliant
with the standard, and yet the other drive can work and yours can't.

Unfortunately, when writing a software driver, close isn't good enough.
The device driver needs to be exactly tailored to a specific implementation
of the standard.  If the standard is exactly specified, it's easy.  If
the standard is sloppy, then you do the best that you can, but in
actuality you end up having to test with every piece of hardware known
to God and anyone to guarentee compliance.

If you really want the problem fixed and you can't fix it yourself, then
I have a suggestion for you.  Contact the ATAPI developers in FreeBSD and
offer to _donate_ a CD burner of the same model as yours to them.

>In my opinion, the FreeBSD project can not claim support for ATAPI
>CDR-RW drives in general.  There could be a list of supported drives but
>to my knowledge this does not exist.

No, they can because the ATAPI spec has been modified over the years and
is still not exact, and all devices claiming ATAPI compliance don't
adhere to exactly the same implementation of the ATAPI standard.

SCSI-2 is much tigher as a standard which is why you don't see these
problems as much, besides it also uncouples the host BIOS from the
peripheral, which removes another point of potential incompatability.