Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 07:25:30 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Subject:   Re: i refuse to spend the $$$

As Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> There is no good reason in the world I should have to go out and spend
> $400+ dollars on a 2940 and scsi cdrom just so I can digitally pull a
> couple tracks off of a cdrom,

There is no good reason why you need to spend that much.  Nobody told
you that it *must* be a 2940.  Pick a < USD 100 NCR SymBios
controller.

Ask Amancio about the quality of CD-ROM drives, and you'll be
surprised to learn that even in the SCSI world, only the best of them
are really high-quality enough for digital audio reading.  Forget
about the low-end drives at all, if CD-DA is your desire.

> therefore I am requesting that someone point
> me towards info (i guess ioctls) i need to get tracks off an atapi cdrom
> --- I sure hope the atapi drivers support this?

I sure know it does not.  I sure know that CD-DA is not even
standardized yet on SCSI, let alone ATA.

Go and read the ATA specs.  Then return to this list.  I'm afraid you
won't return, at least not if you've got the slightest understanding
of standards documents...  You'll be ROTFL after reading them.  The
ATA specs are the best joke of the computer world i've read lately.
After this reading, you're really starting to wondering why some of
these IDE drives actually do work at all.  (No joking.)

--
cheers, J"org