Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 2016 15:00:04 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [moved from toolchain] GCC5: pkg vs. ports

--KnSClHSjLb2eTT9QQKkHfpww24Oxc0Grl

On 2016/02/03 14:18, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> I just did a full 'pkg upgrade' on my FBSD 9.3R box, which installed th=
> newest GCC5. I also updated ports. When I used the pkg-provided GCC5, i=
> doesn't have graphite support enabled, so no auto-parallelization. When=

> I checked the port w/ make showconfig. it shows graphite enabled. I am
> recompiling it as I write this, but I thought the pkg was/is configured=

> from the port & would have graphite enabled by default, w/ no recompile=

> needed on my part, no ? I have the various other pkg's req'd for
> graphite support pkg-installed (& just updated this A.M.), so I thought=

> I was ready to go. Not a huge issue, but recompiling the compiler shoot=
> about an hour on my box, would be sweet to avoid that. TIA for any clue=
> & have a good one.

Unless you've your own poudriere setup, upgrading using binary packages
will always get you the default options for everything you install --
what's in any ports tree or any option settings you have locally makes
no difference.

If you are using poudriere, then remember to set options using
'poudriere options -c some/package' -- it doesn't automatically pick up
options you make from the ports tree.

Well, not unless you've been terribly cunning and done something like
creating a symbolic link like so:

# cd /usr/local/etc/poudriere
# mv -f options options.old
# ln -s /var/db/ports options