Date:      Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:08:36 +0800 (MYT)
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        staticblackz <ebay01@chatusa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Hotspots

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, staticblackz wrote:

> I would have no problem using m0n0wall but I need to be able to have ssh
> access to compile othe rprograms needed I am using it on a comouter...is
> there any way to port the captive portal to another freebsd box or to
> rebuild m0n0wall to be just like FreeBSD?

m0n0wall is built as a firewall/router, and thus with security in mind,
chooses to not put in utilities which are not strictly necessary. m0n0wall
is derived/based on FreeBSD 4.10 for the current m0n0wall images.

recent developments has had someone developing ssh functionality for
m0n0wall, which you can find by searching the m0n0wall mailing lists at
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/ and http://m0n0.ch/wall/list-dev/

alernatively, you could pull down the m0n0wall images, and then using that
add in more services/utilities which you require and then regenerate your
own custom m0n0wall images.

if m0n0wall is too restrictive for you, you may want consider using either
m0n0BSD or building a PicoBSD image from /usr/src/release/picobsd/