Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:29:55 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <rootman22@attbi.com>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        'S Roberts' <sroberts84@hotmail.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compatible Modem?

--------------A6088D5A91B613707003BF51

I'll second this.

In my experience, configuring internal modems to work with
FreeBSD have been difficult, if not (in some cases) impossible.
This isn't to say it can't be done, especially by somebody who
has sufficient experience.  However, for the newbie who
wishes to connect to the net in the least amount of time possible,
I also highly recommend using an external modem.  I once spent
two weeks trying to configure a US Robotics internal PCI modem
under FreeBSD 4.2 and finally gave in to the recommendation of
others and bought/configured a US Robotics external 56K modem.
I had everything working in less than 20 minutes.

Now, I'm using a Cable modem, which was even easier to configure
and I don't plan on going back to dial-up any time soon.  ;-)

Cheers

Joe

Haikal Saadh wrote:

> Short answer:
> Internal modems bad, external modems good.
>
> Long(er) answer.
>
> I've experienced nothing but misery with internal modems. Even the
> old-school isa non-pnp ones...not worth the extra headaches..External
> modems, on the other hand, just plugem in, point fbsd to the right port,
> and away you go! I've had good luck with D-link and 3Coms. Although my
> 3Com (quite a new model, not sure which) does not have a telephone out
> to plug a phone in. Annoying, but works otherwise.
>
> Cheers.

Joe Warner
Daemon News
Daemon News E-Zine http://www.daemonnews.org