Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:52:08 -0700
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        info@boatbooks.com
Subject:   Connecting mouse/keyboard to server booted without

First a meta-question - I understand cross-posting is deprecated, but is
the following question better asked here or on freebsd-isp? I don't have
a sense of how many subscribers to the latter list aren't on this list,
and whether I might miss useful advice they would have.

I have a FreeBSD box that will run as a web server, etc., in a colocation
facility. It would normally be maintained remotely over the network
connection, and not have keyboard, mouse or monitor connected.

However, on occasion, we will be physically at the colo facility, and
will want to hook up a keyboard, monitor and maybe mouse, without
disrupting the server operation (e.g., with a reboot).

The monitor is presumably not a problem to connect/disconnect.

By experiment, connecting/disconnecting the keyboard to the live system
seems to work OK, although I don't know if this is recommended practice.

However booting without the PS/2 mouse leaves it inoperative, and X will
not run. Not that that's essential, but it might be convenient. I tried
running sysinstall after booting without mouse attached and then
connecting the mouse, but I couldn't get the mouse to work.

How do people normally deal with this situation? (I'd like to have the
mouse work, but I'm more concerned about any issues with the keyboard,
etc.).

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna