Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:49:37 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: sendmail???

--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG

* Isaac Mushinsky <itz@mushinsky.net> [20010620 07:14]: writing on the subj=
ect 'Fwd: Re: sendmail???'
Isaac> I assume this only happens when you log in as root? Some daemons and=
 system
Isaac> programs can write mail directly to your mailbox. They do not 'send'=
 the
Isaac> mail, they just write you messages. Some day you may be sorry to mis=
s this
Isaac> mail, but if you are determined to get rid of it, redirect the mail =
to some
Isaac> other user or try linking the root's mailbox to /dev/null altogether.

Linking root's mailbox to /dev/null?? Throwing everything to the bit
bucket? You don't want to do that!!!! You may miss some very critical=20
information from the system.

What I've always done is create another account that I'd use for Admin
purposes and redirect all root's mail to it.

root:	admin	#In my aliases file

About you have new mail, my understanding is that some shells have that
built-in capability to notify you if the contents of your $MAILBOX have
been changed - I guess biffer is such a notifier - and I love to know that
I have new mail. I even have mine producing some sound on the PC speaker!