Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 13:22:16 +0200
From:      "Jacques Bourdeau" <jacques_bourdeau@moncourrier.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   producing an intrusion-proof FreeBSD

Hi,

during next summer, I will work on a solution for increasing significan=
tly the
security of any Unix server. I wish to do that by using the CHROOT as m=
uch
as possible.

Right now, only few daemon are ready for using Chroot themselves (named=
 and
some FTPD). But even them do not gain a lot of security because they la=
unch
the CHROOT themsleves. So if a bug is found in them (as its always the =
case
if an intrusion occur), the bad guy have a much larger chance to go out=
 of
the CHROOT.

What I try to do is to build a sub-system jail, containing the minimum =
tools and
functions (like RBASH as the only shell, no telnet client... ), over a =
partition
mounted with nosuid,nodev, etc, etc, and launching daemons from the jai=
l. If
the deamon can do a second CHROOT by itself, I also use it. The best wo=
uld be
to have no listening daemons running outside of the jail.

After that, someone doing an intrusion against the system would not be =
able to
do anything over personnal datas, or to re-use the computer for attacki=
ng another
one on Internet (he will not have telnet / ftp or anything else availab=
le).

Because the CHROOT was done by a previous process (which do not exist a=
nymore
in process list), going out of the CHROOT will be MUCH more difficult. =
Indeed, only
a bug in the kernel could go out.

I already built a small jail and run named in 2 level of CHROOT as well=
 as FTPD.
I wish to add all others : SSH, inetd .. ... ....

I'm doing that with shells scripts because I'm a poor progammers with C=
 or others
languages.

So, if FreeBSD is interested, just explain me how to transform this in =
a complete project
for FreeBSD community.

Jacques Bourdeau

(my mail address will change in 2 months when I will go back in Canada,=
 so do not
distribute it right now if you wish to add the project in your list...)=

--
Obtenez vous aussi votre adresse =E9lectronique gratuite
MonCourrier.com (http://www.moncourrier.com), un service du