Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 20:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Because you have your files in the wrong place - if you read the man page
> for tcpd, you'll see that the permission files live in /usr/local/etc/hosts.*

The 2.2.6 man pages incorrectly identify /etc as the location of
hosts.{allow,deny}.  FWIW, /etc is the default location on every
*other* Unix operating system.  When I first ran into this bug (back
around 1.0.5) we had to `strings tcpd` to find where the access files
were expected to be.  This is one of the many FreeBSD ports that (IMHO)
offer no advantages over the original package.

> Which isn't started from inetd.conf.  It's started from /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
> when the system boots; nothing rogue about it.

The recommended sshd startup method used to be /etc/rc*(/*), probably
for historical reasons.  It may still be a good idea on slow CPUs,
where it can take a while to generate a session key, or where
inetd.conf isn't running, however, in my experience, sshd is much more
reliably run from inetd.

Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting
http://www.roble.com/