Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:42:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: More on VM, swap leaks

Gary Jennejohn writes:

> Greg Lehey writes:
>> OK, to follow up on my last message, I rebooted my machine and tried
>> to start emacs.  Here's what happened (this is put together from
>> displays on two different xterms):
>>
> [lots of pstat's deleted]
>> So, here I am, three Emacsen later, all stopped, and I have 5 MB less
>> swap than before.  Can anybody else reproduce these results?
>
> I decided to test this out. I can start both emacs and xemacs with NO
> failures at all. And not one additional block of swap gets allocated.
> I must in all fairness note that I already had about 16 MB of swap in
> use.
>
> This with a -current kernel made from the latest sources as of Monday.
> So I didn't test against the latest pmap.c, et. al. But I wouldn't
> expect this to have a negative effect.

No, this has been pretty constant for a couple of weeks.

> This is on a machine with 16 MB memory and 64 MB swap.
>
> Looks to me like you might have a bad SIMM, Greg.

I don't see how you can deduce that from the information.  Firstly, a
number of people have reported this problem, almost always with emacs.
Secondly once emacs gets up and running, there are no problems.  I've
learnt something about swap space in the couple of days, and it looks
like I was on the wrong path there, but I don't think that anybody
involved doubts that it has something to do with the VM system.

Somebody else suggested that the binary might be the problem.  It's
running on two other systems with no problems, and it's the same
binary I've had since before the VM changes were committed.

Greg