Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:10:39 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: browsers [was: Re: linux-netscape6 gives segmentation fault??

hawk <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu> types:
> mike mentioned,
> > > Cookie handling is *much* better than anything else out there.
> > I seriously doubt that; unfortunately, the best thing I've seen for
> > cookie handling (and about a dozen other things) I've run into doesn't
> > run on PC hardware.
> ANy cookie gets a response of Y/A/N/V (and something else, i think)
> for Yes/Always/No/Never accept cookies from the domain, as well as
> accept and reject domains in the config file.

Which is pretty much what AWeb does - only it does it in a GUI
environment, with a nice GUI editor as well. You might prefer the
character interface that lynx had, but I don't think that makes it
"*much* better". Those two are *much* better at cookie handling than
any other browser I've checked (which excludes opera, galeon,
skipstone, and who knows what else that's using Mozilla's rendering
engine).

> > I use w3m pretty much the same way you use lynx. I switched when the
> > lynx port was marked broken for security reasons. w3m has two
> > advantages over the lynx I was using at the time: 1) table & frame
> > rendering is better; 2) it has three external browsers. So I have one
> > that launches an xterm running w3m like you do; one that launches
> > netscape, and one that adds the link to my hotlist. The downside - no
> > numbered links :-(.
> I've toyed with patching lynx for the extra browser . . . and it already
> has its bookmarks like your hotlist.

My hot list was set up to be available from as many as 8 different
browsers on four different computers in two counties.  It's stored in
a Postgres table. You can look at it at <URL:
http://www.mired.org/cgi-bin/hotlist.pyo >. The first link on the page
takes you to a white paper describing the application, including
sources.

> And it was just to fragile and easy to bomb out of . . .

The early versions tended to die whenever they tried to render
frames. If you set it to render them automatically, it would just
croak. Later versions are much more stable. I've still got it set to
not enable them automatically so I can avoid bookmarking pages that
won't work on my Palm.

	<mike