Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:08:46 -0300
From:      "Duwde (Fabio V. Dias)" <duwde@duwde.com.br>
To:        security-officer@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSHD revelaing too much information.

To the FreeBSD Security Officer & FreeBSD Security List.
(Please reply, if need, to my email too)

I've already posted this at FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org but it
seems some people haven't agreed on this issue, so I'm posting
this here, as it's security related.

As of 2001/03/22 we have :  (and it's still on 4.x-stable of today,
4.3-RC)

--
bash-2.04$ cat /usr/src/crypto/openssh/version.h
/* $FreeBSD: src/crypto/openssh/version.h,v 1.1.1.1.2.4 2001/03/22

#define SSH_VERSION	"OpenSSH_2.3.0 green@FreeBSD.org 20010321"
bash-2.04$
--

It seems some fixes has been made on OpenSSH 2.3.0 or so, and the string
"green@FreeBSD.org 20010321" has been added to SSH_VERSION. The problem

--
bash-2.04$ telnet localhost 22
Trying 127.0.0.1...

So as SSHD is a daemon USUALLY enable to the whole internet,
anyone can find out what OS (FreeBSD), and what SSHD *cvsuped"
version is running. As well as if it has been fixed or NOT.

So targeting attacks to unfixed SSHDs running FreeBSD would be
made easier, as well as any other attacks in the future, 'cause
there will be no doubt of what OS the host is running. (plus
a good idea of its version, using the 20010321 string)

Btw, there is no need to let anyone know if the SSHD is fixed
or NOT, nor the OS version, and SSHD exact modification date
by the freebsd team. Is there ?

Please let me know if I'm missing something...

--
Fabio Vilan Dias / Duwde <duwde@duwde.com.br>
PGP key @ http://www.duwde.com.br/duwdepgp.asc