Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:29:54 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LGPL confusion

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 11:00:58AM +1000, Nicholas Charles Brawn wrote:
> I was going through the licence file included in the gtk 1.0.6
> distribution, and discovered that gtk is distributed under the lgpl.
> >From my limited understanding, with the gpl, you MUST release derivative
> works with source, though the lgpl has been modified to allow you to
> release binary only derivative works.
>
> Is this the case? Could someone more familiar with the lgpl please
> clarify it for me.

This is _almost_ the case.  You have to release object files for your
"work that uses the library", and you have to release source code if
you have a direct derivative work (ie, you do changes to GTK itself).

Shared library technology does probably not release you from the
requirement to release object files.

Eivind.