Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 15:11:24 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        lrios <lrios@ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User Names > 8 characters

lrios wrote:

> Is there anyway way to increase the Username length beyond eight
> characters?? Any help would be appreciated....

	Assuming you're talking about FreeBSD -Stable:

        What you need to do is edit /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h and change
MAXLOGNAME to 18. Then go to /usr/src/include/utmp.h and change
UT_NAMESIZE to 16. Now make the world, when that's done make a new
kernel. I would back up, then delete wtmp and utmp since the new
username size will corrupt both files. Also, if you have other software
installed that accesses usernames (ssh and xterm are the most common)
you
will want to recompile and reinstall it.

        That's all there is to it. There are some things in -Stable and
-Current that need to be twiddled to make this really clean though.
Those
things won't affect the functionality of your system though, just the
aesthetics.

Good luck,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
***   Proud designer and maintainer of one of the world's largest