Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:59:08 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Falcon" <jeremy@intersurf.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: problem starting ftpd

Thanks for the reply.

Using ftpd -lD produces the following message...

Oct 27 06:05:20 gateway ftpd[238]: control bind: Address already in use

...and it doesn't return me to a prompt.  After closer examination I can't
help but wonder if this issue starts with something else besides ftpd and
inetd.  inetd never really hangs.  During bootstrap, this is where I have to
use Control+C (^C)...

starting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmail^C sshd usbd.

...after I use Control+C, then sshd and usbd starts, and FreeBSD continues
booting.  Now, if the entry for ftpd is in inetd.conf, then wouldn't that be
read and executed before cron was started?  I don't think the daemons are
started asynchronously because sshd and usbd would start before I hit
Control+C if that were true.

Is there a way to find out what was trying to be run as a daemon during
boot, so I can see what didn't start?  Where does FreeBSD look to find all
the daemons it needs to run during bootstrap?

This is a fresh 4.1.1 install, I'm still using the GENERIC kernel and making
a point to not change anything until someone can help me figure out what the
problem is.

Once again, thanks for any help.

Jeremy L. Falcon