Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:36:29 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Laurence Berland" <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PayPaI Cash Give-Away

Actually, to be able to accept money on PayPal you either have to
supply them with a mailing address they can mail checks to, or
a bank account that they can transfer money into.  What's going on
with this particular gem is fraud, and when you sign up with PayPal
you agree that they can do whatever the hell they want to you if
they catch you doing anything fraudulent.  PayPal will report this
back to the bank or credit cards associated with this PayPal account
and those organizations will freeze the accounts.  Since it takes a couple
days for a PayPal fund transfer to take place, and more for the funds to
free up in the bank so you can get them out with an ATM card, and
this spam just came out, it's unlikely that the criminal will be
able to get any money out of his account that comes in from PayPal.
Most likely he set up a very elaborate deception with ficticious names
and ID and addresses, but some of them are stupid enough to use
their real addresses.