Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:26:05 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3COM HomeConnect ADSL bridge

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 11:23:58AM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

> [...]

Gee... thanks a lot! Now what's the *bad* news? ;^) Just kidding....

S.O.B. (pardon my French) ... there's *always* some freaking blip. PPPoA
-- don't know this. Do you suppose the modem would have worked if your
Telco had used PPPoE -- like mine does? I don't understand why the modem
would need a driver - 56k et al modems don't need them with FBSD -
AFAICR? What's the diff?

> Anyway, instead of messing with it any longer, I returned the modem and
> anted up an extra $100 US for the 3Com OfficeConnect 812 ADSL router my
> telco offered.  This router does the dialing internally and will also
> perform NAT, DHCP, IP filtering, and DNS or you can set it up as a bridge
> and use your FBSD box for your firewall.  But I have found it's capabilities
> sufficient for my small home network.  It has worked flawlessly and I am
> thankful I finally went that route because now I can "play" with my FBSD box
> and still have Internet access when my FBSD box is down.

My Telco doesn't offer the OfficeConnect, AFAIK. I'll check for sure
though. They told me that with a "splitter-less" setup, I have to buy the
modem - either from them (I which case they would offer support), or any
other compatible modem on my own ( in which case, I *am* on my own for
support). That's why I asked about a comparison chart of sorts in my last
post to see if I can come up with an alternate modem that works on
Freebsd and for my Telco. Maybe cable is less of a headache??

Thanks for your input!
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada