Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:29:26 -0700
From:      "Kai Peters" <kpeters@silk.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Access to outbound if's IP address?

We have installed about 10 FreeBSD gateways for some of our clients
so far (dialup/Cable/DSL). For maintenance purposes it would be nice
to have telnet access to these boxes when required.

Ideally we'd like to phone a contact on site and ask them for their
gateway's current
IP address so we can telnet to it. However, we'd prefer that contact to be
able
to run a Win32 app of some sort that would tell them the IP address, rather
than talking them
thru the login at the BSD box and then having them do an 'ifconfig'.

Sitting on a Win32 net behind a FreeBSD gateway, how can I know
the gateway's outbound if IP address without lifting my butt out of my
chair and doing an 'ifconfig <if>' on the gateway (or telnetting to it)?

Any help/pointers greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Kai